Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Coffee + Clover = Heaven?

(This is for you fans and friends of Satan Coffee, and you know who you are -- *cough* Il Barista, La Parisienne, and charming lurker Noli Me Tangere! *cough* Now go make me a no-whip tall mocha frappuccino, stat!)

Meet what might be coffee nirvana in the shape of the apparent Holy Grail of coffee makers, the Clover machine. Alas, coffee nirvana comes with a price tag of $11,000. And is the coffee really that much better?

Anyway, CPD and I had talked about this shiny new Clover contraption before -- and about making an actual coffee pilgrimage to a cafe that has one. I am so not kidding. If I find a coffeehouse within a decent distance that has a Clover, I just GOTTA try it once (though I know it'll cost more than the average cup of joe: the CPD did warn me that one place in New York sells its Clover-created brew-of-the-gods for something crazy like $7 a cup. Say WHAT?).

For those of us who can't drop $11,000 but want a nice coffee-making gizmo? Both my friends Ladybird (a fellow coffee fiend) and Foxtrot (a tea fan) love their Keurig machines. I can't afford that (what young nerd can?), but I can do a nice French press.

Hmmm. All this talk of coffee . . . I'm off to that Boston-born East Coast favorite, Dunkin Donuts. (Sorry, Il Barista.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dunkin donuts is for losers. Krispy Kreme out of North Carolina is where it's at!

And as an ex-Starbucks barista, coffee sucks. :)

Mad Minerva said...

I love Krispy Kreme when I'm down SOuth, but there aren't any up here in Yankeeland! :)

Anonymous said...

They have them in CANADA for crying out loud. You Yankees don't know what you're missing. Krispy Kreme and Bojangles for fried chicken. It's all you need.

Mad Minerva said...

Hey, what do you mean "you Yankees"??? Are you callin' me a "Yankee"? Them's fightin' words! ;-)

(I did, though, see a Krispy Kreme in New York City earlier this summer, though, in Penn Station. Go figure.)

Yankeeland also lacks Whataburger, In-and-Out Burger, Carl's Jr., Sonic, good fried chicken of any sort, BBQ, and real Tex-Mex...Oh, man. Now I'm STARVING here, just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

The charming lurker has actually tried coffee from the Clover on a recent business trip. Think of a French press but clean instead of murky. All the flavor, none of the fuss. It's amazing.

Mad Minerva said...

I've got to try that Clover coffee now, Noli!

Pat Patterson said...

The only thing worse than a "genuine" Mexican dinner on the East Coast is a "genuine" Mexican dinner in Queenstown, NZ. I mean, considering all the sheep and cattle on the North and South Islands how hard could it be to cook the meat or shred the cheese? I won't even try to explain what a Kiwi version of a tortilla looked like.

Anonymous said...

Dang, I'll have to get two Clovers, one for the double-wide and one for the bass boat.

And don't EVEN get me started on Tex-Mex in Yankeeland ...