Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Geek News and Fun: Whedon's "Dr. Horrible" Is Online!

Joss Whedon's latest creative project hits the Internet today: "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" starts streaming online. Whedon fans, rejoice! (That means you too, La Parisienne, because Nathan "Captain Malcolm Reynolds" Fillion is in it!)

Here is a brief write-up and interview with the man himself, via Wired. The premise of the project: Neil Patrick Harris plays Dr. Horrible, a bumbling, aspiring supervillain who longs to be a member of the elite Evil League of Evil. He's not quite good enough (or, rather, evil enough), and he's finding life even more complicated because he's hopelessly in love with a pretty girl (Felicia Day) whom he just can't seem to talk to and also because all his evil plans keep getting foiled by the egotistical, obnoxious superhero, Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion). The nature of the thing is pure Whedon.

Here is the trailer:



The actual website for Dr. Horrible is here. The Internet musical will "air" in 3 parts.

By the way, I had no problem seeing the musical early this morning, but right now the website seems to be down. It's probably collapsed under the weight of too many rabid fans rushing to it.

UPDATE: Yep, the site did crash from too much traffic! Keep trying if you haven't managed to see it yet. "Dr. Horrible" is worth your time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, the server did indeed get swamped, though I believe it is back up now. They were also having difficulty getting it set up for international viewers.

I quite enjoyed it though. I can't wait for parts 2 and 3.

Mad Minerva said...

I hear that -- I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment! Methinks maybe I'll pull out that musical episode of "Buffy" to tide me over...

Anonymous said...

I never got into Buffy. When it first started I just assumed it would be crap, and then by the time I was aware it had been on as long as it had, it was ending.

Mad Minerva said...

Check out "Buffy" on DVD. The series really got smarter as it progressed, and Joss Whedon's great at the helm. I was convinced that the show would be crap, too (dude, the initial movie with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry was awful), but my Cine-Sib nagged me until I look a took, and it was pretty darn good.

Did you catch "Firefly" at all? Coolest sci fi-meets-Western idea.

Pat Patterson said...

I had the same initial reaction though I wasn't familiar with Sarah Michelle Geller the image of the very badly knock-kneed Kristy Swanson as a gymnast has remained and colored my view of the film and its TV version forever. And seeing the continued decline of Rutger Hauer's career was simply painful to watch.