Monday, July 07, 2008

Movie Review: the Cine-Sib and "Wanted"

Over the holiday weekend, the Cinema-Mad Sibling and I, along with Alessandra d'Ambrosio who was visiting from out of town, went to see "Wanted."

The film, directed by Russian Timur Bekmambetov, is an ultra-violent celebration of guns, car chases, and assassins, and the whole thing clearly enjoys itself with unfettered gory gusto. This bloodbath, filmed in a way that would surely delight Louis Leterrier and Quentin Tarantino, stars Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy, and the great Morgan Freeman. I don't need to tell you that the flick is rated R for an almost ludicrous amount of violence and bad language. Still, it does have a certain quirky humor in places (there's a great visual gag with a keyboard) and a twist at the end.

Why am I telling you all this? It's merely a prelude to the Cine-Sib's movie review, which he just now gave me. Lately he's taken to writing movie responses in the form of haiku poems. Odd? Yes, maybe. Amusing? No doubt.

Enjoy:

John Woo would be proud.
Sick car chases and shootouts.
Angelina. Hot.

If I had to review it in similar fashion, I'd say this:

"Office Space" plus guns
Cubicle slave turns killer
Fanboy fantasy

Or, as I told La Parisienne, a one-line recap would be: "Mr. Tumnus kicks some butt."

(And yes, the Cine-Sib recommends this film.)

2 comments:

Pat Patterson said...

More violent than his previous films, Night Watch and Day Watch? Not likely! Plus by doing this forgettable B movie it looks like Timur Bekmambetov will not make the sequel, Twilight Watch, to the mentioned films ever.

I know a lot of 15 and 16 year olds that might want to see Angelie Jolie in the nude but they really wanted to see that 3rd film. And they, well, we, hold grudges!

Mad Minerva said...

I haven't seen "Night Watch" or "Day Watch," so I can't speak to the violence in those. In fact, I'd never even heard of these -- or Bekmambetov either -- unless the Cine-Sib piped up about all this.

Actually, the degree of sheer violence in "Wanted" is the outer limit of what I'm willing to watch. Anyway, it's not a great film by any stretch -- it's a pulp film at best that I wouldn't care to re-watch or recommend. The car chases are cool, though.