Monday, September 29, 2008

Nerd Journal Confessions of an Entertainment JUNKIE: "Supernatural" Addiction + "Iron Man" DVD Tomorrow!

When it comes to entertainment, it is my great vice and my great pleasure. I don't even bother denying it anymore. (Did I ever bother?) The Nerd Lords would be horrified and disgusted if they only knew. What I am doing, indulging in pop culture? I should be buried in research! Well, I *am* buried in research. But that doesn't mean that I can't multi-task.

The "Supernatural" addiction is in full evil flower now, and I devoured the season two box set in about 2 days. (It is indeed worlds better than season one.) Also, I'll have you know, Il Barista called me to report that La Parisienne cackled with sheer Schadenfreude when she read my blog-confession. She's a shameless, cheerfully energetic enabler of my vice in general and "Supernatural" in particular -- hey, what are friends for, right? All my resistance has completely crumbled. I'm not even trying to hold back now. In the current absence of any Joss Whedon shows, I guess "Supernatural" is filling the void. And I might as well have fun with it, right? "Buffy" or "Angel" at their best could run rings around silly "Supernatural," but "Buffy" and "Angel" aren't on the air anymore. And I just gotta get some vampire-killing and demon-hunting because -- quite frankly -- it's cathartic. (Plus, the music is fabulous.)

I have to say, though, that I'm not sure what's worse: the fact that I've fallen from grace here or that I have to endure the teasing of my friends and Sibling. I guess a little humorous humiliation keeps me from becoming too snotty and self-righteous! But now I think back to the (recent) past when I made fun of people who liked "Supernatural," and I just want to cringe -- and then I'll rush off to watch "Tall Tales" again because that episode is simply hilarious. HEY, I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM! I CAN STOP ANY TIME I WANT TO! OHMANPASSME ANOTHERDVD--NOW!!!

I'm now on the cusp of adding more fuel to the fire of my entertainment junkie-hood, because tomorrow is September 30: that long-awaited day when "Iron Man" comes out on DVD! YES! That 2-disc edition will finally be mine!

I'm doomed. Perhaps another way to look at this is to say that I'm in clover. I have a soft spot for smart, sassy, humorously quippy heroes who look darn good while firing weapons and cracking jokes, and I'll have no shortage right now.

Oh, don't worry about my nerd responsibilities. I just turned in a massive paper today (it was nerderiffic and 30 pages long -- not counting the bibliography), and I'm working on another two papers even while I'm teaching my hordes of undergraduates. I'm a diligent nerd most of the time. And it's nobody's business that I'm crafting my perfectly footnoted papers while watching DVDs about demon-hunting brothers or playboy genius industrialists who can fly. Why the heck not -- nearly all of my previous papers were written in the dead of night accompanied by DVDs of one type or another.

But lest anyone be mistaken: I am NOT a role model. I am a VERY BAD EXAMPLE of a nerd, so for your own sake, DO NOT DO AS I DO.

PS: Yes, La Parisienne and Kamikaze Editor, I used the word "devour" deliberately.

No comments: