Saturday, September 20, 2008

Political Humor of the Day: The Joys of Spin and Semantics

From Eric D. Snider comes this delightful look at the power of word choice:

Your candidate lacks experience.
My candidate is refreshingly free from the stain of politics.

Your candidate has been part of the Washington system for too long.
My candidate is blessed by years of political know-how.

Your candidate is a reckless loose cannon.
My candidate is a maverick.

Your candidate is cranky and stubborn.
My candidate is tenacious.

Your candidate makes brash, controversial remarks.
My candidate speaks his mind, no matter what.

Your candidate has a checkered past.
My candidate has a colorful past.

There's a lot more in the list (and the contrasts become more and more extreme -- one made me laugh out loud), so do go read the whole thing. After a while, though, you realize that "your candidate" and "my candidate" are THE SAME PERSON!

No comments: