Thursday, October 01, 2009

What Fresh Hell Is This? Follow-Up: The (Chinese) Empire State Building

I had ranted about this earlier, and I see with some grim satisfaction that I'm not the only one doing so. The news reported some protesters in New York, both Asian and not. Their placards were calls to remember China's miserable record of human rights abuses, political persecution of dissidents, and that entire sorry regime's autocracy. One protester then said something worth repeating:

"Would Beijing light up the Great Wall in red, white, and blue for our Fourth of July? I don't think so."

Heh.

(Then again, we're not holding a gazillion dollars' worth of their debt? Oh, Shakespeare, you're so right: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be," indeed.)

Still, the entire spectacle of lighting up the Empire State Building to commemorate that murderous dictator Mao's revolution just chaps my hide. ARGH!

No comments: