Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nerd Journal: I Apparently Have No Taste in Music. Or Opera. Whatever.

Not, you understand, that I'm either ashamed of the fact or apologizing!

The Opera Diva emailed me some lovely music files of herself singing parts of arias from some German and Italian operas. She's got a lovely voice. But I just wasn't in the mood. To be perfectly honest, I'm never in the mood for opera. In fact (and don't ever tell her this), I kinda hate opera. I went right back to what I was listening to at the time. Van Halen. Yup. The Opera Diva might want Wagner, but I want Van Halen. The music is hilarious! Plus it keeps you energized.

Maybe I should feel something, some shred or tinge of embarrassment, but I got nothin'. And why should anybody ever be ashamed of what they honestly like or don't like? There's too much pretentious posing as it is. Crank up the volume, gentle readers, and let the big-hair rock-n-roll play on!

(And, yes, I still like some awesome Pat Benatar.)

2 comments:

Margaret Larkin said...

See the Marriage of Figaro or other Mozart. Don't just listen--boring. And avoid Wagner and other depressing stuff. Just seek out the positive, fun operas and you'll enjoy them!

Mad Minerva said...

Maybe that's it -- listening versus seeing. I like Mozart's other work, so I'm going to have to check out his Figaro now!