Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nerd News: Best Blog Post About Epistemology EVER -- "No One Knows What They're Doing"

FABULOUS. No, really. I mean it. It's both astute and funny. Click. Read. Now. It's entitled "No One Knows What The F*** They're Doing."

It adds, in a twist worthy of Socrates, that people who realize they don't know things aren't anywhere near as dangerous as people who don't realize that. And so the truly wise man understands how ignorant he is, and the hubristic fool thinks he knows everything. Well, AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH, especially on campus. (And in government -- oops, did I say that out loud?)

It kind of makes me feel better about feeling that I'm a fraud and that sooner or later someone's going to figure out that I'M NOT A REAL SCHOLAR and toss me off campus. I'll also give you a related quote by Alessandra about the whole issue of knowing/performing/being praised when you know too well your own limitations: "It's not always that some people really are THAT good. It's also that a lot of other people suck. So you look really good in comparison." Hmmm, true dat?

No comments: