Tuesday, July 13, 2010

General Tso's Long March: the History of Chinese Food in America



Well, you do know, of course, that fortune cookies are an Asian-American invention.  You won't find them in Asia, really, though some restaurants are starting to have them because Western patrons expect them.  Food culture is a funny thing!  And it can be delicious.  (I'll save my rant about "fake" Asian food for another post!)


Oh, and I dedicate this post to Count Chokula, my long-time partner in crime in all things culinary.

2 comments:

lumpy said...

Tasty post!

But, I must say, you are now suspected of posting a video without really watching it ...

Mad Minerva said...

Well, I did watch it in a hurry while doing some "Skip a bit, Brother Maynard". I've read Lee's stuff on Chinese food before. Maybe I should've posted a caveat lector too!