Thursday, July 08, 2010

Houston, We Have a Problem: Astronomical Asinity in New NASA Directive


You don't need me to bang on about the latest example of silliness from the higher-ups.  Regarding the new "direction" for NASA: Somebody please tell me that it's a joke of Onionesque proportions.  Space exploration is about space exploration and things like this or this or this, not about "outreach" or touchy-feely public relations pablum.  That's not science; that's not even junk science.  Like this other fresh example of pseudo-scientific stupidity, the goal isn't knowledge or investigation at all!

You know how much I love science and astronomy and NASA, how space exploration makes my nerdy little heart flutter, so I shall simply post a piquant cartoon (via Bread upon the Waters) and let it speak for me.  Click to enlarge.



UPDATE 1: OK, I can't help myself.  I just have to give you this patently fatuous quote from the news story.  It's by, God help us all, NASA administrator Charles Bolden:  "NASA is not only a space exploration agency.  It's also an earth improvement agency."  Say WHAT?   Oh, for cr*p's sake.  It's not a PR firm.  Has this guy ever read the NASA charter?  

Whatever.  I am now going to go play "I Am A Scientist" by the Dandy Warhols.  Really, really loudly. 

UPDATE 2: More here, with links.   Check out this bit of satirical, sarcastic, hilariously subversive commentary.

No comments: