Friday, July 02, 2010

Nerd News: Historians Rank Presidents

Well, nobody asked me, is all I'm sayin'. Obama on a recent survey of 238 historians came in 15th, 2 places behind Clinton and 3 places ahead of Reagan


I don't need to remind you, do I, about the utter subjectivity of some academics in the humanities and liberal arts?  Historians (and literature experts) seem to be quite susceptible.  I never put much stock in these "presidential rankings" projects, and neither should you.

Besides, this survey is already flawed to begin with -- how can you have any historical perspective at all on an administration that's not even complete through one term, when all that occurs is still "current events"?  Frankly, it sounds like a puff piece for Obama, and I'm actually not surprised about that part of it.  History -- by which I mean real history --will not, I think, judge him as kindly.  Anyway, here's the full list.  It's not felony stupidity, but it is buckets of crazy.

For the record, this history nerd is thinking "Jimmy Carter, Part Deux." Oh, and the survey in the "intelligence" category ranked JFK ahead of *GEORGE WASHINGTON.*  This survey is a joke.

The following image is basically my expression for this and stuff like this.  Believe you me, my students see plenty of this whenever they try to pull cr*p in the classroom.  (Hm, I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of this graphic too!)

No comments: