Wednesday, October 12, 2011

California Bans Shark's Fin Soup

Here comes the food police.  Oh, and apparently it makes no never mind that it's got a ton of cultural and culinary significance to the Chinese and Taiwanese communities!  (In case you're wondering: Yes, I've had shark's fin soup.  Yes, I like it.  Yes, I eat it whenever I get the chance.  I like bird's-nest soup too, but I like shark's fin more.  Yes, I'm eeeeeeeeeeeevil.  No, I haven't had that soup in a few years.  It's expensive, and I'm just a penniless nerd!)  Here's a bit from the news story:
Shark fin soup is a Chinese delicacy; walk into certain restaurants in San Francisco's Chinatown, and you're guaranteed to find it--but not for much longer. Last week, California governor Jerry Brown signed a law banning the sale of shark fins. It's a move that is being celebrated by environmentalists, but some Chinese Americans are complaining that the law is an attack on their culture.
Apparently 85% of U.S. shark fin consumption occurs in California.  You know what's bound to happen, though, right?  A black market trade in shark fins and that soup.  Do you honestly think you can stop a food-loving culture from getting what it really wants?  GET REAL.  Hasn't Prohibition taught us anything?  More here, plus this: raaaaaaaaaacist?

No comments: