Monday, October 17, 2011

Teachable Moment: Eminent Domain Debate

Sometimes you really do get teachable moments.  In class earlier, we were going as planned, and then we had a digression that turned into an impromptu class debate about eminent domain.  That hadn't been on my lesson plans, but I let it go because I thought it was a great "teachable moment."  The opinions and feelings expressed by the undergrads were actually close to what I personally espouse as an evil center-right enemy of social progress, and I was frankly rather surprised (and delighted) by the debate's results.  So, folks, at least in this one class, the kids are all right ... right down to their defense of property rights and their hostility to the Kelo decision even here in blue state Nerdworld.  Even the strongest defender of eminent domain conceded that it could be readily abused by corrupt politicians.  Well, whaddyaknow?  Glimmers of hope!

No comments: