Thursday, February 23, 2012

Rant: I Might Be A Childless, Unmarried Monster

I suppose we can chalk this up to "people just being people," but it can really rub me the wrong way how some people (and I mean both men and women) feel perfectly free to opine away to me about (a) my marital status (or lack thereof) and/or (b) my uterus. Yes, you read that right. 



Look, I was just out at a nice big dinner party, and a good time was being had by all.
One of my friends was there with her baby, so of course the bundle of joy was attracting a lot of attention (so cute!).  Then someone else (she was married with kids of her own) came up to me and asked me cheerfully, "When you see that, doesn't it make you want to have one of your own?"


Ugh!  I hate stuff like this, because THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER.  If I say "Yes," then I will inevitably get sucked into a conversation about how I better hurry up and get married and beat that biological clock and all!  (Final result: Spinster, sub-category "pathetic, hapless bluestocking.") If I say "No," then I am a heartless monster who doesn't want to participate in the circle of life or whatever. (Final result: Spinster, sub-category "selfish, careerist b*tch.")

Oh, in case you're wondering, I said "Yes."  In the ensuing inevitable conversation, I was advised -- apparently in all seriousness -- to go volunteer at the local hospital so I can scam on doctors.  Yeah, I'm going to need a doctor after I'm done beating my head against the wall.  Why is my uterus anybody else's business but my own?  Especially at a gorram dinner party?

No comments: