Wednesday, April 04, 2012

I'm Going to Throw Myself Into Traffic Now, Mmmkay?

No fewer than four people -- including my own dear sweet cousin -- emailed me this news story, so I have no choice but to mention it: apparently Ryan Gosling just saved a woman from being hit by a cab in New York City.  Here's the Gothamist writeup.  I like this quip and this headline.  Anyway, this is getting ridiculous.  Gosling's driving me crazy.  Absolutely crazy.  Could he be more perfect?  Don't answer that.  Because just when I think it couldn't get more unfairly stacked against my ability to resist, he goes and proves again that chivalry lives.  Gah!   

All right, fine, part of me wants to hate Gosling for turning me into a giggling schoolgirl, but some other part of me is having too much fun to care.  There's precious little fun to be had in Nerdpocalypse Now!  And still another part of me is not so secretly pleased that I can still even be a giggling schoolgirl after all this time being a cynical angry grad nerd and research-rat.  Hell, I should probably thank the man!  And as we've discussed before, being a serious scholar and dedicated teacher doesn't mean that you have to give up being a girl.  And if aside from annotated bibliographies and journal articles and academic monographs and conference papers and lesson plans I also like shoes and manicures and lip gloss and Ryan Gosling, FINE.  If you don't think I'm a real scholar because of those things, then I'm not going to bother with you.  OK, back to the delightful Ryan (though I still hate The Notebook and will continue to hate it).


UPDATE 1:  "And how much longer can he keep up this bonkers trajectory of human perfection?"

UPDATE 2: A hilarious open letter to Gosling by a frustrated guy: "Dear Ryan, Please, on behalf of all men, STOP IT! You're making us ALL look bad ... REALLY!? What's next? Are you going to rush into a burning orphanage and rescue babies holding puppies?"

UPDATE 3: Of course the Internet meme must comment:



UPDATE 3:  Behold the ugly aftermath.  I rant about it here: "Hey Girl, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left out this story on Gawker from the lady who's life he saved,

http://gawker.com/5899046/ryan-gosling-saved-me-from-a-speeding-car-but-theres-war-in-the-middle-east-so-everyone-calm-down

- Wodun

Mad Minerva said...

Thanks! Someone else just sent me this too in response to the Gawker bit:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/04/ryan-gosling-actually-historys-greatest-monster.html