So, in the spirit of things, the Cine-Mad Sibling and I name some of our favorite X-Files episodes that we (and you) can watch streaming online at Netflix. Here they are in no particular order ...
- "First Person Shooter." Yup, it's the one where Mulder gets stuck inside a video game. The special effects haven't aged well at ALL, but the episode is a complete hoot. Three words: "Jade Blue Afterglow."
- "Arcadia." Mulder and Scully go undercover as a married couple in an unsettlingly perfect Stepfordesque neighborhood where residents keep disappearing. You'll never look at a pink plastic lawn flamingo the same way again. The Sib and I quote this often-hilarious ep endlessly. "Woman, make me a sandwich!"
- "Drive." Bryan Cranston. Nuff said. Bonus: This was the episode that introduced then-X-Files writer Vince Gilligan to Cranston ... a meeting that would later turn into the incomparable Breaking Bad series.
- "Jose Chung's From Outer Space." The men in black have never been so good. That's Alex Trebek!
- "Beyond the Sea." X-Files does Silence of the Lambs via Brad "Grima Wormtongue" Dourif.
- "Bad Blood." It's like Rashomon. With vampires.
- "The Unnatural." Baseball-playing aliens. Because why not! I love TV eps about baseball. That one from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine ("Take Me Out to the Holodeck") is a lot of fun too, by the way.
We'll sign off with this, and get ready for some retro 90s tech hilarity: