Tuesday, April 05, 2011

March Madness Ends Not With a Bang But a Whimper

Congratulations to the UConn Huskies for being top dog in college men's basketball after beating Butler, but it wasn't a great game.  In fact, it was a horrible, frustrating, repulsive, infuriating game of appallingly ugly basketball that had my buddies and me yelling at the TV -- and not because of excitement.  I've never seen such horrendous shooting (or lack of it, to be more accurately) in a championship game.  Butler was unspeakably dreadful.  UConn wasn't at its best either, but it won, and an underwhelming victory is still a victory. All the same, Butler's performance was so astoundingly miserable that it actually diminished the entire glory of the championship title.  There's not much glory in whipping a team that at one point missed 11 shots in a row.

Well, here's hoping that tomorrow night the ladies of Notre Dame and Texas A&M will play beautiful, enthralling basketball in their championship game.


UPDATE 1: One headline reads simply: "Ugly but sweet: UConn claims NCAA Crown."  Ugly but sweet?  Why not just go ahead and say that it has a nice personality too?  Sheesh.  Yes, I'm an angry hoops fan!


UPDATE 2: OK, OK, I wasn't pleased with how March Madness 2011 ended, but I can't deny that I do love March Madness itself.  Here is the 2011 "One Shining Moment."  I love this song.  Thank goodness this year we went back to the Vandross version.

No comments: