Friday, May 30, 2008

A League of Legitimate Democracies

You know, forming a league of legitimate democracies isn't a new or original idea, but it's actually a good idea. A while back, I'd said to a colleague that we ought to have such a thing as a counterweight to the UN.

Of course, I can see various stumbling blocks -- like what to do when and if Taiwan (a legitimate democracy) wants to join up, or what to do about Israel.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Dignified Rant has some feedback and a difference of opinion. I absolutely see his points, though I don't think the UN can really be reformed in any meaningful way. As for the idea that America itself is the actual counterweight to the UN, that is all too true. I had thought, perhaps foolishly, that in a league of democracies, there might be a chance to have a less openly hostile environment.

No comments: