Monday, June 15, 2009

MM in the Kitchen + Movie Fun: Puerco Pibil from "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"

I'm in a fun mood. The Sibling and I, with Il Barista, La Parisienne, and the Kamikaze Editor, had a food-filled reunion this past weekend, and on the agenda was an absolutely sinfully gluttonous visit to a fabulous Mexican restaurant.

I had the puerco pibil (also called cochinita pibil), and that was in honor of one of the Cine-Sib's favorite movies, Robert Rodriguez's quirky "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" (2003) -- which we watched again on DVD recently. (Great cast of Antonio Banderas, Johnny Depp, and Salma Hayek.)

Here's a recipe for puerco pibil. I intend to try making it sometime in the next few days. (I need to add something to my South-of-the-Border repertoire besides the now-famous salsa verde carnitas, after all. Oh, and since I am evil, I can't help bragging: Il Barista ordered carnitas at lunch, and he said he liked mine better. AWESOME!)

But here on the blog, it's really much more fun (a) to see the dish's appearance in the film and then (b) see writer/director/producer/overall cinema Renaissance man Robert Rodriguez's personal take on the dish (available on the DVD of the movie).

Bring on the puerco pibil! For your culinary and cinematic pleasure, I give you:

The clip from the film:




The Rodriguez recipe (caveat: he says a rather naughty word in the first few moments of the clip, but it's clean for the rest of it):



OK, I'm going to make this dish and hope nobody shoots me afterwards.

No comments: