Friday, June 26, 2009

Nerd Journal and Quote of the Day: Your Own Personal Judgment

"There is something immoral about abandoning your own judgment."
-- Bruce Greenwood as JFK in Thirteen Days (2000)

Absolutely.

(Rajesh, I thought of you when I heard this! It is quite Objectivist, no?)

I'm back to writing research papers, and you all know that when I do, I'm watching movies too. I simply can't work in total silence. So I have "Thirteen Days" in the DVD player this afternoon. It's underrated, really, and it's quite a good film dramatizing the Cuban Missile Crisis (and so I can even think about it as "historiography" and therefore a type of "nerd work" . . . OK, OK, it's a stretch, I know).

3 comments:

Objectiveman said...

Depends, on what your judgement is.

One would have to decide based on what the the judgement is to decide if it is Objectivist.

My own quote:
It's best to define yourself as what you are and not what you are not.

Mad Minerva said...

In the context of the statement, I took it to mean that one should not abdicate one's own role in decision-making -- i.e., one should not give up one's own rational decision-making process and simply adopt someone else's without really thinking things though.

Objectiveman said...

Now that is quite Objectivist.

BTW, it was sweet of you to think about me :)