Monday, June 07, 2010

Nerd News: Storming the Barricades of Public Education

Allons-y! And again!

People want choice, not government monopolies. RESULTS MATTER. The stakes for the future could not be higher. (And I am still enraged about the DC school voucher debacle.) Are you into actual education or in the currently entrenched vested interests? Would you rather that your child go to a bad school or a good one?

Lesson of the Day, class: "teachers' unions" are not the same thing as "teachers." Teachers, the good ones, are fantastic human beings who have dedicated themselves to the cause of education and the lives of their students. Teachers can literally change the world, one life at a time (just ask SIR Patrick Stewart!). Teachers' unions are often horrid rackets that grasp for political clout and care little for the actual education of students. (Here's a useful rant.)

In the same vein, professional nerd organizations are not the same thing as nerds. My various professional nerd organizations often say all sorts of stuff, but they do not speak for me, even if I more or less have to be a member. Capisce?

You know, I think I shall take up the label of "edupunk" with pride. (And awesome shoes . . . though they may not be much good for storming actual physical barricades, I do want to show off my new fire-engine-red nail polish!)

No comments: