Thursday, June 10, 2010

Film Culture Commentary: "Sex and the City 2," Maybe Misogyny, and Horrible Characters

Here's something interesting as the rancid reviews for the "Sex and the City" sequel roll in. There's a current of commentary stating that some of the harsh critiques are actually sexist, misogynistic. Read this. OK, maybe? Then read this. It's pretty darn insightful as it takes aim at the content of the movie. The latter ends with this glorious quote:
... let’s not pretend that the Sex and the City women are out for anyone but themselves. And don’t tell me that that female self-involvement to the exclusion of all else is a fantasy that I need to embrace. Because I won’t.
I'm with MaryAnn "Flick Filosopher" Johanson on this one. She hates "Sex and the City" as much as I do, and she hates even more the crazy idea that some people have that ALL women like it. Why would I want to spend $10 to see 4 spoiled, privileged, self-centered rich chicks flounce about in all their glittering shallowness and overweening sense of self-indulgent entitlement? I think they're all horrible. And I'm talking horrible in terms of being horrible human beings. I'm taking the specific gender issue out. As far as I'm concerned, spoiled, privileged, self-centered rich guys who flounce about in all their glittering shallowness and overweening sense of self-indulgent entitlement are likewise horrible human beings.

I've seen a couple episodes of the "Sex and the City" show, and there is no way I'm going to see the "Sex and the City" flick. I'd much rather go see "Iron Man 2" again -- and speaking of which, I owe you a review of that lovely flick, don't I? Oh, and let me tell you, Pepper Potts and the Black Widow run RINGS around Carrie Bradshaw and her dreadful friends.

No comments: