Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Forgotten History: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan

The lovely Ninme has this fascinating link to photos of Afghanistan from the 1950s and 60s.  Here's the statement of purpose from the fellow who assembled the image gallery:
"Given the images people see on TV, many conclude Afghanistan never made it out of the Middle Ages. But that is not the Afghanistan I remember. I grew up in Kabul in the 1950s and ’60s. Stirred by the fact that news portrayals of the country’s history didn’t mesh with my own memories, I wanted to discover the truth.
"Remembering Afghanistan’s hopeful past only makes its present misery seem more tragic. But it is important to know that disorder, terrorism, and violence against schools that educate girls are not inevitable. I want to show Afghanistan’s youth of today how their parents and grandparents really lived."
- Mohammad Qayoumi
Well done, sir.

No comments: