Monday, November 16, 2009

Book Review: "A Genius For Deception" by Nicholas Rankin

Here's a nice review of a new book from Oxford University Press! I'm adding it to my ever-growing list of books to read, and I think you may want to do likewise. The subject: how the Brits used all kinds of creative deception to win WWI and WWII. Odysseus would be PROUD.

I can't resist quoting from the review (quoting from the book):

There is much to savor, as in this anecdote (which the author admits "seems almost too good to be true") about an incident during the Battle of Britain: During one of the nightly Luftwaffe attacks, an urgent call went out from a British camoufleur in charge of an elaborate fake airfield, complete with dummy planes, to an RAF fighter pilot.

Camoufleur: "Sir! We're being attacked!"

Pilot: "Splendid, Sergeant. Good show."

Camoufleur: "They're smashing the place to bits!"

Pilot: "Yes, excellent. Carry on."

Camoufleur: "But, sir—we need fighter cover! They're wrecking my best decoys."

I've got to read this book!

No comments: