Saturday, November 14, 2009

The HopeChange Chronicles: Wishy-Washy US = Taiwan Insecurity

This is OBVIOUS, but I am always surprised at how so many people do not understand the OBVIOUS.

Perhaps one day when I have some time I'll write up a big post about the American security umbrella and how the Pax Americana means, ultimately, a safer world. Right now we're seeing some government morons try to disassemble that umbrella. And Asian democracies are going to feel it. Along with Eastern Europe and everywhere else that looks to a strong US for backup.

Meanwhile, remember the whole idea of "peace through strength"? Or even the schoolyard idea that bullies pick on the weakest kids, not the ones who can defend themselves? (Once one of those playground delinquents told me that he never picked on me because "You'd beat me up!" I've never thrown a punch in anger. But then again, I've never had to. Though apparently it helps to look as though I could and would. What other basic defense/security lessons appear in the schoolyard? Hmmm.)

No comments: