Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nerd Journal: Twice in Two Weeks, "Glee" Delivers a Sucker Punch

Really, "Glee"? REALLY? Last week it was a gratuitous and unfunny swipe at Sarah Palin. This time it was a slap at Ann Coulter not 10 minutes into the new episode.

I'll probably wait in vain for the show to take a stupid potshot at some well-known left-leaning woman. But it did take shots at Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan -- though that's like shooting fish in a barrel -- and then putting Coulter in their company.

I'm not a huge Ann Coulter fan (she's obnoxious in her role as provocateur), but I sat on my couch and rolled my eyes at the sucker punch.

Come on, "Glee." I watch you because you're fun and bubbly, but these unnecessary barbs burst the bubble of an hour of lovely TV.

Also: I'm simply not impressed by the idea of Madonna being some kind of role model. Or by the idea that the overt and ever-more flamboyant public sexualization of girls and women is the most obvious way for them to gain social "power." I thought that for all these eons, women were oppressed by being treated as OBJECTS. So now if they present themselves of their own accord as purely sexual objects, that's OK? What the ... ?

UPDATE: Aaaaaaaaand 40 minutes into it, everybody's singing "Like A Virgin" and jumping into the sack. I had called it earlier today to La Parisienne. Ugh. OK, let me get this straight. A show that last season featured the trials and tribulations and troubles of a pregnant teenage girl now has two sets of putative high schoolers rushing to do exactly the same thing that had so clearly resulted in misery before for one of their fellow singers. Really smart, people. Blah. The fact that nothing actually HAPPENED isn't the point as much as the showcasing of the idea as a goal.

For the record, I *hate* "Like A Virgin." But not quite as much as I hate "Imagine." There's almost no song I hate as much as that.

UPDATE: I kinda hate that Jesse character too, but I guess I'm just a big hater all the way around tonight!

No comments: