Saturday, April 16, 2011

Quote of the Day on Government Spending, Debt, and the Innumeracy of Politicians

We rant a lot about the evils of illiteracy.  Yes, illiteracy is bad.  SO IS INNUMERACY.  Here is a suitable quote about the perils of innumeracy mingled with political silliness and general idiocy: 
Government can’t balance a checkbook. They’re idiots. I know finance math. I do it for a living. And when I look at the numbers involved here, (and the interest!) it makes my head swim . . . It doesn’t work. No matter how hard you wish, no matter how hard you hope, no matter how much compassion you can fit in your stupid compassionate heart, no matter how much you happen to like some program that helps somebody do something wonderful… math never lies and interest never sleeps. Caring don’t pay the bills.
The source of that quote is, by the way, also the best tax rant of Tax Day 2011. Read the whole thing.  (Slight language warning!)

2 comments:

Brian J. Dunn said...

Of course our government can't balance their budget. Would YOU bother to learn how to control your spending if you could simply get more money from somebody else to cover your spending?

Do I really have to bring up your shoe blogging? Hmmm? :-)

Mad Minerva said...

Alas, I can't get anybody to cover spending on shoes, so I usually never end up getting the gorgeous specimens I post! At least a girl can still LOOK.