Thursday, December 01, 2011

'Tis The Season For Christmas Music Abuse

Yes, yes, I know that it's now officially December, so everyone has the technical right to play as many schmaltzy, cheesy versions of Christmas songs as they please.  I know that every shop and mall in the country is going to be blasting the stuff.  I do object, though, to Christmas music being played in restaurants.  

No, really!  I was just out for a nice meal with friends at a little Italian place, and the air was filled with that musical abuse.  It's a restaurant, people.  Can't I even have a meal in some peace?  Schmaltzy upbeat Christmas pop music is not "ambiance" or "atmosphere."  NOT IN AN ITALIAN PLACE.  NO WAY.  NOT EVER.  "Jingle Bell Rock" is an abomination.  I do NOT want to hear "All I Want for Christmas Is Yoooooooou" sung by some lame celebrity (and why does almost every quasi-celebrity in the entertainment business feel the compulsion to record Christmas songs?  STOP IT!) while I'm trying to eat.

Anyway, this isn't to say that I just Scroogerrifically hate all Christmas music.  I like good Christmas music.  Let me kick off the season with something nicer than craptastic versions of pop holiday ear-poison.   Try this instead -- the traditional first song of the annual Christmas Eve service at King's College, Cambridge



Once in Royal David's City

 (Come on, aren't these choir boys much better than Justin Bieber?  And, yes, in the name of fairness and objective research, I did actually attempt to listen to Bieber's Christmas effort.  I lasted about 1 minute.)  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sitting in a cracker barrel in sharonville, oh. Usually I just walk out, but this is a business breakfast. Christmas music should be played for the people who want to listen to it. For god sakes not when I'm eating