Friday, June 13, 2014

Dignified Rant on Iraq: Work the Problem, People

You might have been wondering why I haven't said much about the situation exploding in Iraq.  It's because I can't seem to find the words to describe my utter horror and screaming frustration.  None of this has been a real surprise.  The fact that you don't want to fight anymore doesn't mean that the other guy wants to stop.  Clearly some people aren't willing to stop killing other people and persecuting minorities and now summarily executing civilians in Mosul.  Look at that mess on a map.  If I were, say, Jordan, I'd be shaking in my boots.

Yes, yes, I'm supposed to be able to compartmentalize and turn off the emotions so I can try to make dispassionate analyses.  I'll try to write something soon, but I've been busy and also currently find myself with various family issues to deal with.  For now do read Dignified Rant's take.  Here's a teaser:
Yes, the Obama administration screwed up by leaving Iraq on its own. But conservatives should be in the lead to urge the government to work the problem rather than settling for blaming (rightly, I'll add) the Obama administration for getting us to this position ...
But I'm also convinced that this administration doesn't have the foggiest notion what to do ... and that it's obvious to everybody else that it doesn't.  It also seems completely incapable of learning from its mistakes and engaging with reality.  There, I said it. (Related.)

No comments: