Monday, January 18, 2010

Movie Madness: The Only Bright Spot in the Golden Globes Slow-Motion Train Wreck

For La Parisienne:

This award show is just catastrophically bad (see Nikki Finke's hilarious liveblogging of it ... and I couldn't be bothered even to make fun of stupid outfits on the red carpet -- though I have to ask why sequinned globs of tree fungus were growing on Drew Barrymore ... or were they coral? did she make her dress out of the Great Barrier Reef?). I was really watching Jack Bauer on another channel, but I did hear this morning that the awesomely talented (and dashingly dressed) Robert Downey, Jr. won Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for his turn in "Sherlock Holmes." Well, that's nice. Loved it, loved him in it, love any opportunity to see his charisma run all over the stage.

Here's his delightfully unpretentious and amusing acceptance speech (which was, by the way, worlds better than the horrible performance of host Ricky Gervais. Boooooooooooo!):



"If you start playing violins, I will tear this joint apart."

(It seems hardly fair that he just keeps getting more quippy and adorable with time.)

2 comments:

lp said...

I'm very disappointed Gervais. I thought he might bring something new to the typically boring award show. I am happy that an actor with talent won.

Mad Minerva said...

You can say that again! Now to snark at the Oscars, the biggest pompous awards show bomb of all.