Saturday, May 14, 2011

Movie Mini-Reviews: Three to See

I've been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy on campus to do movie reviews, but really quickly, here are three to see.





"Battle: Los Angeles"
Fantastic action flick with Marines vs. space aliens in LA.  Aaron Eckhart does a great job.  This is the best alien-invasion flick since "Independence Day," which I loved when I saw it and still love.  In Battle: Los Angeles, watch the action unfold as LA and Santa Monica become battlefields.  Grade: solid B.  If you want a full analysis that more or less squares with my take, see this.


"The Eagle"
Channing Tatum and Jamie Bell are a Roman commander and his slave who venture in the dangerous wilderness beyond Hadrian's Wall to recover the eagle standard of a lost Roman legion.  I'm not going to quibble with historical accuracy or various logical issues.  This flick is a better take on Roman Britain than "Centurion," and I had a great time even though I didn't like the very end.  Watch as the flick unironically depicts the importance of loyalty, honor, and the idea of fighting for something bigger than yourself.  Grade: B.


"Thor"
Fabulous eye-candy fun that exceeded my expectations! Aussie Chris Hemsworth is charismatic as the Norse god of thunder come to Earth amid machinations in the immortal realm of Asgard and the frightening home of the Frost Giants, Jotunheim.  Besides, when was the last time a comic book action flick was directed by iconic Shakespearean Kenneth Branagh?  And starred Sir Anthony Hopkins as Odin?  See too Tom Hiddleston as Loki.  Grade: B+, largely because it signals the start of the summer movie season, and I am delighted.  It's not quite the rip-roaring glory that "Iron Man" (2008) was, but it'll do, it'll do.  Bonus: Watch for a cameo by the talented Jeremy Renner.


OK, one more:
"Fast Five"
The Cinema-Mad Sibling liked this a lot, but I haven't seen it myself, so I can't say anything!

No comments: