Thursday, May 05, 2011

Nerd Journal: Watching the First GOP Debate

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's the opening bell of the 2012 presidential race for the GOP as the first debate kicks off in South Carolina.  So far, I gotta say that I am not impressed.  I can't see myself voting for any of these people.  Ron Paul is like the crotchety old uncle who always says something offensive at Thanksgiving dinner ... and says it really loudly.  




I think I've said before that the current political class in this country is horrible on all sides.  I'm serious!  I can't stand the Obamacrats, but there are members of the GOP whom I can't bear either (*cough* crazy social conservatives! *cough*).  Professional politics, especially at the DC level, has become such an all-consuming seizure of insanity that no normal person in his or her right mind would want to engage in it ... and this of course means that only the insane would throw their hat in the ring.  Basically this thing has become a self-selecting circus.  The people we most need in politics -- the sensible, sober-minded, responsible, humble people with their feet on the ground and their heads squarely on straight -- are just the sort of people who will probably (a) never get into politics, and (b) never be "successful" in it.

You know, once upon a time government was limited enough so that it didn't matter so much which particular lot of clowns, scoundrels, and miscreants happened to be in office.  Now, though, the federal government's become such a behemoth of intrusion and interference that we're all caught in it one way or another, and it matters more if some bunch of people get elected who believe in re-making our lives.  UGH!  What's a sweet, sassy, libertarian-minded, freedom-loving independent to do?  ...  Somehow I launched into a rant.  Oops.  Song for politics these days: "Bad Romance." Without a doubt. Look at all the narcissistic freaks in the video, amirite?

1 comment:

lumpy said...

Yep.