Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Quote of the Day: Leftism and Good Intentions

I wish I could have said it so pithily myself:

It is one thing to assume (at least, for the sake of argument) that a liberal like Obama desires what is good for America. It is another thing to assume that a liberal actually knows what is good for America, or that, knowing what is good, he will actually pursue the good competently and persistently. The history of liberalism disproves any such assumption.

We may give liberals credit for their good intentions – how else shall they pave the road to hell? — but we can never credit liberals with good sense.

If life has taught me anything, it's to be extremely wary of pie-eyed dreamers and messianically-minded do-gooders with good intentions and no common sense.

Furthermore, as a teacher, I've heard the "good intentions" argument from students more often than I care to remember -- usually in the form of "I tried, Miss Minerva, I really, really tried!" But in the end, all I grade are RESULTS. In my experience, the more a person cries about having and exercising "good intentions," the worse his or her actual results -- and, subsequently, actual grades. Sorry, folks, having good intentions does not absolve you of responsibility for failure either in the classroom or in real life. I guess I'm just horribly objective and merciless that way.

1 comment:

Objectiveman said...

Very well said.

As for having said it so pithily, there is nobody pither than you, Miss Minerva.

From,
A former pie-eyed dreamer