Sunday, September 27, 2009

Quirky Euro Files: London's Heathrow Airport Has a Writer-in-Residence

Heathrow's Terminal 5 has a writer-in-residence! It's Alain de Botton! This should be interesting indeed! Mr. de Botton's website is here, and you may read excerpts from his airport experience.

You may remember a previous post on de Botton's "School of Life" project.

UPDATE: I've now gone to read the extracts, and they're fascinating. Must buy the book! It's even put me in a better frame of mind regarding Heathrow in general -- and you know that I as a rule hate Heathrow with a passion. Still, Terminal 5 is an improvement over the dreary, drab rest of that transportational Tartarus. (Miraculously, the last time I went through Terminal 5, I had no delays and no trouble!) On a slightly sillier note, de Botton's "A Week at the Airport" reminds me a bit of that Tom Hanks movie "The Terminal" -- if only for the idea of getting to know a place (and its people) that you would normally never really notice because it's only a way-station.

No comments: