Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Just One Snarky Comment. Or Two.

I'll make one -- just one, I promise -- snarky comment about the SOTU speech last night.  SPUTNIK?  SPUTNIK?!   This morning even my students were poking fun at it, and they're Obamacolytes.  "It sounded like he was talking about potatoes the whole time.  Spuds, spuds, spuds."  Or even: "I didn't bother watching the speech.  Does that make me a bad American, hahaha."  When you've lost the pie-eyed undergrad dreamers, you're in trouble.




Meanwhile I'm thinking that this is some kind of messed-up Hopenchange if we're looking back at 1957 and the Cold War for inspiration in 2011.  Really?  Really?  We live in a completely different world, people!  And it's arguably a much more complex and dangerous world ... and we're busy making it worse by spending ourselves into debt oblivion while stupidly attempting to create a Euro-style structure here when in Europe the structure is collapsing in spectacular fashion.  If the whole Sputnik thing was supposed to evoke the power of faux nostalgia and fire us all up for more government spending shenanigans, it totally didn't do it for me ... other than bring up the fleeting thought that somehow things seemed simpler back in the day.  Or maybe this is just a thought brought on by the inescapable fact that the current political class (of all types) in the US is simply awful.  Decent people are skeptical of both political parties, and by golly we should be.  Sputnik indeed ... 

OK, back to the SOTU speech and I can't help myself: the entire "win the future" rhetoric made me laugh -- and not in a good way.  The nice-sounding optimism of the speech is a faux optimism full of glittering generalities.  It obscures the grim reality of things as they are -- such as the sobering fact we're out of money and almost out of time.  I laughed even harder when I friend pointed out that "win the future" by first letters conveniently spells "WTF."  Indeed.  UPDATE:  The whole mess is even substantively worse than I thought?  And dangerously scanty on foreign policy.  


Lost in space.

2 comments:

Brian J. Dunn said...

When your undergrads first heard about the new iPrez in 2008, they all had to have it.

Sadly, they discovered that they couldn't get the apps they wanted to customize their iPrez the way they wanted.

So now they've moved on to something else.

Mad Minerva said...

LOL! Love it.