Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Later

It doesn't seem like ten years have passed.  But I remember a sunny late summer day much like today, with blue skies and bright air, when I was thinking about school and making coffee before idly deciding to turn on the morning news as I often did (and do) during a bit of breakfast.  Things were never the same again.  

Today you'll read and hear all sorts of comments and retrospectives and analyses (and "analyses").  Some will be good, some bad, some foolish, some infuriating, some optimistic, some pessimistic; some will cover themselves with quiet humane dignity and others with cheap vulgar shame.  I'll leave you instead with some that remind us what courage looks like and who the real heroes were.  See this profile of a remarkable individual. (Note too this sobering assessment by a professor of history.)  I'll say this, though: in the aftermath, everyone -- everyone -- showed their true colors.  


UPDATE 1:  See what Jon Stewart said right after the attacks.  I've never loved Jon as much as I did when he said this, and regardless what you might think of him as a rather lefty comedian, you'll want to take a look.


"I wanted to tell you why I grieve, but why I don't despair."


UPDATE 2: See Gary Sinise's personal perspective.

No comments: