Monday, January 19, 2009

MM in the Kitchen: Baby Bok Choy

I love baby bok choy. LOVE it. It's probably my favorite Asian vegetable. In Taiwanese, it has a funny, evocative name. It translates literally into English as "spoon vegetables" because if you look at one of the leaves, it resembles a Chinese ceramic soup spoon. Clever, no?

Here's a great photographic lesson in my favorite way to cook these lovely leaves. Sesame oil optional, and you don't have to use both garlic and ginger. One or the other will do just fine. Baby bok choy is easy and delicious! Serve with anything.

By the way, there are several sorts of vegetables that are called "baby bok choy" by Western grocers. I prefer the ones with the green stems, not those with the white stems, which are a miniature version of bok choy proper.

Oh, and I found this little piece about baby bok choy in the WaPo from a while back. WTTPWS!

No comments: