Sunday, July 13, 2008

FYI: American Airlines' New Luggage Policy Stinks

FYI: American Airlines is now charging passengers for luggage check-in. That's right. I flew American Airlines to get back to Nerdworld, and apparently it's just not enough that I have to pay an outrageous amount of money for my ticket and also endure bad service. Now I have to pay extra for checking in bags!

Yes, it'll cost you an extra $15 to check one bag and another $25 for a second one. Don't even think about checking a third one, because that'll cost you $100 more.

I was going back to campus for a new school term, so I had a lot of luggage. A LOT. I couldn't help it. I had two big bags (one was almost entirely full of books and articles and journals and nerd-stuff). I had to check both of them in, and that meant I had to cough up an extra 40 bucks.

I was furious. $40! But I had no choice but to hand it over.

So here's your public service announcement. American Airlines is now charging extra for luggage!

3 comments:

Pat Patterson said...

Next time use Greyhound at 1/4 the cost and the package or packages will be there within two to four days. Even if coast-to-coast and then fly via Southwest.

Mad Minerva said...

There's no way I'm getting on a bus. I did it once, and that was that. As for Southwest, fine, but it didn't have the itinerary I wanted this time.

Pat Patterson said...

Not you, though I suspect if you're small enough you could package yourself. Take your packages or excess luggage to a bus station and ship them. If you do it a day or so before you FLY then they will already be waiting for you before landing.