Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nerd Notes: The Value of a Bachelor's Degree

Embedded in this story, which reads like a tear-jerker, is the basic truth of all degrees:

A degree . . . "isn't any big guarantee of employment, it's a basic requirement, a step you have to take to even be considered for many professional jobs."

Surprise! Not. It's obvious. A degree isn't a guarantee, and you'd be naive to think otherwise. There are no guarantees in life, PERIOD. (Well, except death and taxes.)

Of course, sensationalism is the rule in journalism these days, so the story is headlined with the alarmist yet mournful title of "The Declining Value of Your College Degree." (Got that? *YOUR* college degree! Hit that panic button right now!)

Admittedly, we could have a long and jolly argument about the quality of various degrees and degree-granting programs, but that's really another post.

On the other hand, Advice Goddess (also quoting Theodore Dalrymple) points out that a person doesn't necessarily need a college degree in order to be successful in life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even using my degree for my job. I'd be hard pressed to tell you how any of my classes from my major or minors have any connection beyond conceptually to what I actually do.

That said, if I'd wanted to do something with my degree (physics), I would have needed either much better grades, or some internship experience to even get my foot in the door.

Mad Minerva said...

Great point.