Saturday, August 21, 2010

Holden Caulfield Is a Loser: P.J. O'Rourke 1, J.D. Salinger 0

I had forgotten recently how hilarious O'Rourke can be.  I love O'Rourke and hate most "modern" literature, so this is just too good not to share:
It was a travesty of literary justice that we waited until J. D. Salinger finally hit the delete key at 91 before admitting that Catcher in the Rye stinks. The book’s only virtue is that it captures, with annoying accuracy, the maunderings of a twerp. The book’s only pleasure is in slamming the cover shut—simpler than slamming the door shut on a real Holden Caulfield, if less satisfying.
Meanwhile, don't even get La Parisienne and me started on how much we hate Kerouac.

UPDATE: I just found this.  Awesome.


RELATED POST:
 American Literature Smackdown: Flannery O'Connor 1, Harper Lee 0

5 comments:

lp said...

I never liked admitting that I hate the book. Now I feel like I am in good company.

Mad Minerva said...

Maybe I should start a series of posts on "Books That We Hate" or perhaps "Critically Acclaimed Rubbish."

First up: "Ulysses" by James Joyce. BOOOOOOOO!!!!

lp said...

I like Critically Acclaimed Rubbish. Don't forget to add On the Road. Whiny hypocrisy is not great literature. You should read Parker's review. It is a thing of beauty.

commoncents said...

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog! Keep up the great work!!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

Mad Minerva said...

@LP: Done. Note new tag.