Sunday, August 02, 2009

Nerd Journal: In Which MM Regresses to Childhood -- Nerdy, Nerdy Childhood

I was looking around for a nice present to get for a sweet new baby whose parents are two dear friends of mine. Toys are fun! And, I think, too often wasted on the young -- kind of like youth itself, no?

Anyway, I found this delightful little turtle, and the thought crossed my mind: Heck, I wouldn't mind getting this FOR MYSELF.

Look at it! It's cute and plush. Ah, yes, but that's not what caught my eye. You know what did, right? You know me. I am fascinated not by cuteness or plushiness, but by THE SIMPLE AWESOME FACT THAT IT SHOOTS 8 DIFFERENT ACCURATE CONSTELLATIONS FROM ITS SHELL.

OK, accurate-ish constellations. But you remember: when I was small, I wanted to be an astronomer. Imagine turning your ceiling into a tiny planetarium. What young nerd wouldn't like that?

Now you all think I'm completely insane, don't you? Yep, I thought so. You're right, of course. But I'm still going to get a star-shooting turtle. And maybe, just maybe, I'll even give it to the baby it's intended for.

2 comments:

Margaret Larkin said...

Well you need a break from your nerdiness--nothing wrong with having some cute fun!

Mad Minerva said...

Oooh, I can give the turtle toy to the baby and then play with it myself when I go to babysit! Perfect!