Friday, August 13, 2010

History Nerd Fun: a Miniseries of Medieval Mayhem (and Matthew Macfadyen!)

Like that alliteration, did you now?  The 8-part TV adaptation of Ken Follett's novel of historical fiction is now available at Netflix, and I'm in clover!  I didn't get to see it when it aired since I don't have premium cable channels; the basics are expensive enough!  Anyway, I do love me some historical drama -- and I don't care too much if the history is mangled as long as I get some good storytelling and some good acting.  12th century England, here we come!  It was a time so messy that it's sometimes referred to as "The Anarchy."  That's impressively messy even to a history nerd who's used to big messes.  A caveat: it's basically rated R for a lot of graphic violence (swords! axes! burning at the stake!), and it doesn't come close to "The Tudors" for that other kind of R-rated graphic stuff.


Recognize any of the cast?  Just ignore the prerequisite "pretty youth" and "pretty maiden" stereotypes.  Look at everybody else.  It's a fantastic line-up of actors who can actually ... hm, act.  Ian McShane.  (If you've never seen him in "Kings" -- now on DVD -- then you are missing out.)  Donald Sutherland.  Rufus Sewell.  And Matthew Macfadyen, whom I loved as Tom Quinn in "MI-5" and Mr. Darcy in "Pride and Prejudice."  Plus Tony Curran too.  See the trailer after the jump.




No comments: