Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Nerd Journal: Miss Independent Goes to the Polls

It's a tale of 3 sassy, self-sufficient babes who went out today and voted as they bloody well pleased.  I'm talking about my peeps Alessandra and California Dreamer and me. So here are some of our Election Day stories, as we in 3 different states went to vote with a vengeance.  We frustrated folks have been waiting for today, people.  I know I have been.  Sure, I live in a blue state, but that's no reason not to get out there and give the smug leftists a piece of my mind via ballot.  Election Day?  It's really Accountability Day.  Ain't democracy grand?



The day began for me with bright morning sun rising over the autumn leaves. So I snapped a photo with my phone and sent it to my posse along with a note:  "What a beautiful day ... to vote some bastards out of office!"

What do we want our government to do?  I think Dreamer put it best: "Leave me the hell alone."  That's as libertarian as it gets, people!  And as ... quintessentially, gloriously American.

Then I got a phone call from Alessandra on her way to her polling place.  "I just saw a bumper sticker," she announced.  "It said 'Don't Vote Angry.'"  There was a pregnant pause on the other end, and then a passionate rush: "BULLSH*T!  That's exactly why I'm voting! ... Don't tell me how to vote ... or how to feel when I do, dammit!"

Twenty minutes later, another call came, this time with amused self-satisfaction: "I have successfully voted angry."

You go, girl.

I made it to vote at lunchtime and texted Alessandra to that effect.  The response was instant: "Did you vote angry?"

"Hell yes!"  I laughed.

I see no problem whatsoever with "voting angry."  I am angry!  This election is, among other things, a revolt against those who aspire to be our political overlords who in their arrogance have consistently demonstrated a disgusting disregard for the citizenry and a persistent, reflexive yen to demonize all opposition.   Call me a hater?  Look in the mirror, pal.  We're not subjects; we're CITIZENS.  You should show us some respect.  You people wanna ram unpopular policy down our throats?  We shall then calmly shove ballots down yours.  As the Cine-Sib and I were just saying, we're not as much voting FOR the GOP (so, Repubs, don't get cocky!) as much as we're voting vehemently AGAINST the Obama Dems.  This isn't as much an election as a restraining order?  "I want a huge electoral massacre by this evening," I had said.  I want those Congressional clowns properly taken to the woodshed.  Power to the People indeed!  Now there's some HopeChange we can believe in.

Oh, I know by tomorrow morning the DC spin machine will be busy making excuses and demonizing the voters again -- we tossed them out on their collective ear because we're racists/haters/stupid/scared/whatever -- while displaying once more the political class's uncanny inability to engage in even a single iota of self-critique.  Um, HELLO -- your policies suck and we don't like them!   I'm watching election returns now -- this should be an interesting night.  (Oh, one more thing -- on behalf of my posse and me, I will have you know that we're beautiful when we're angry! Ha!)  



Catharsis.


UPDATE:  The GOP has taken control of the House, and an entire wagonload of state governor's races went to Republicans.  I think we can safely say that the hoped-for spanking has been duly delivered.  It's almost 1 AM, and I am exhausted.  More tomorrow and in coming days as the dust settles.  For now, though, two closing thoughts -- way to go, Governor-elect Nikki Haley of South Carolina, and I am simply delighted that Marco Rubio of Florida has won his election.  Rubio's been on my political radar for a while now, and here's all best wishes.  Watching him become the new Senator, utterly crushing slimy Charlie Crist in the process, was FUN!   (Going on campus tomorrow should be an exercise in carefully modulated Schadenfreude since I'm pretty sure all the lefties will be loudly moaning and wailing and cursing.  Meanwhile, I'll just smile quietly ... evilly ... to myself.)

No comments: