Friday, December 11, 2009

Nerd Journal: More Books and Cramming, Plus A Man After My Own Heart

Bibliomania, coupled with bibliophobia, is running rampant on campus, and I feel as though I'm reading until my eyeballs bleed or burst (whichever comes first). Books, books, books. Errrrgggh.

Still, I found a cool photo about reading, and I'm posting it. It's from the Wall Street Journal's "Pictures of the Week" feature for Nov. 30-Dec. 4, and it's a photo of a West Point cadet reading while he waited for the president to deliver his Afghanistan speech.





I just want to say, that is the hottest thing I've seen all day, a man who reads! Plus he's reading Kill Bin Laden! (By the way, doesn't the author have a terrifically manly and appropriate name for such a book? It's Dalton FURY.)

Anyway, this well-reviewed book is on my personal list to things to read. You might want to give it a glance too.

Current non-class-related reading: David Faber's Munich, 1938: Appeasement and World War II (Simon and Schuster, 2009). Now you just KNOW I'm a nerd if, in order to take a break from school work about history, I'm reading another part of history. I recommend the Faber book too.

1 comment:

lumpy said...

Seems to have been a popular read.

Cf. http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/2009/12/obama-at-west-point.html

Note the Combat Infantryman's Badge & other assorted fruit salad on that cadet. Linnane's caption is wrong -- all this reading occurred before Obama got on stage, or so I hear.