Friday, August 31, 2012

Post-RNC Hangover

Not an actual hangover, mind you, but a mental one.  On top of it all, I was up wayyyyyy too late last night because I wanted to hear Romney's speech, and I'm up early this morning because I have a ton of work to do.  so this is going to have to be short, but ...

  • Clint Eastwood is still Da Man.  At 82, he shows us that you're never too old to kick butt.  I heard from the Cine-Sib who was also watching Eastwood's speech live: "Still badass!"  Eastwood made our day with a speech that was humorous yet pointed, genial yet direct.  Instead of being barnstorming, it was gently reflective, and that made it more awesome than ever. *blows a kiss to Clint*  UPDATE:  The day's stream of often-unhinged criticisms of Eastwood from the left side of media convinces me that his speech hit the target.  It reminds me a bit of the leftist frothing against another towering American icon, Charlton Heston.  As I had said for those critics, I'll say for these: they're like yippy lap dogs nipping at the heels of a Great Dane.  Besides, if Michael Moore is trashing you, then I shall have to congratulate you for having done something worthwhile.  Another thought: all you media types trashing Eastwood for being a crazy old geezer?  Has it ever occurred to you that indirectly demeaning the entire senior voting population of the country is a really bad idea right before a major election?  When your candidate has dipped into Medicare in order to funnel funds into Obamacare?  Besides, ageism is ugly, you haters.  Didn't your mamas teach you to respect your elders?
  • Marco Rubio killed it with his personal story of his Cuban roots, his shoutouts to other minority Republicans, and his meditation on the American Dream.  Good Lord, I'm cynical as all hell, but he made me think again of that American Dream that I'm living too. *blows a kiss to Marco*  I will expect great things from you in the future, Marco!  And he is one of the young hotshots of the party, and along with folks like Susana Martinez, Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley, Mia Love, and Allen West, he just by existing bursts the cherished leftist meme that the GOP is more white bread than a bakery.  Seriously, I don't know why there's not better outreach to minorities.  The whole idea of succeeding through hard work and self-reliance is at the core of the immigrant experience, certainly from the Asian perspective.
  • Romney's speech. I'm not blowing kisses to Mitt, but I do have to say: he needed to give the speech of his life, and I think he did. I had been hoping that he would pin the whole thing on jobs and the economy while mostly ignoring the social cons, and he did.

No comments: