Monday, November 10, 2008

Nerd Journal : "Twilight" Derangement Syndrome

I have "Heroes" on for background noise while I work on a paper, and an "exclusive preview" of the upcoming film "Twilight" has just finished assaulting my optic nerves.

This movie's ad campaign is one of those rarities in this day and age of focus groups, polling, slick marketing, etc. What's the oddity? The simple fact that every new advertisement makes me hate "Twilight" even more than I already did. And believe me when I say that I started with flat dislike. The feeling, now exacerbated and aggravated by print ads, trailers, and TV spots, has become a full-blown orgy of total, bloodthirsty, soul-rending hatred for abysmally written book, creepy vampire lover, stupid human girl, and all.

A note: the TV spot featured a little introduction by Rob Pattinson, the British actor who plays Edward Cullen. Pattinson looked and sounded mortified to be associated with this entire project. Well, it seems the young fellow might actually have some good taste.

For now, I will fantasize about sticking Edward Cullen in an empty warehouse and then throwing in Buffy Summers, Faith Lehane, Van Helsing, Blade, Sam and Dean Winchester, and all the weapons these delightful vampire-hunters could possibly desire or imagine. Add too La Parisienne, Kamikaze Editor, and myself sitting in box seats for the best view. POPCORN TIME! (Scornful catcalls, boos, and hisses optional.)

UPDATE: Even better: a video skewering "Twilight" for the tripe that it is. Bonus for La Parisienne: a little musical fun about halfway through!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am soooooo there.