Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Taiwan: More on the Recession

OK, things are pretty bad in terms of the US economy. Nevertheless, in the grand global scheme of things, things are worse just about everywhere else. Look at Europe . . . and look at the imploding economies of Asia (check out Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, and miserable Japan).

I posted previously about Taiwan's economic woes, and the latest set of numbers aren't too good. The unemployment rate is the highest it's been in 6.5 years, and the Taiwan dollar is the lowest it's been in that same timeframe. The exchange rate is now $1 US = $35 Taiwan.

Silver lining in the cloud? I can get more bang for my American buck in Taiwan . . . but I actually can't afford to go back there this summer (in terms both of time and money), so I guess I'm STILL all out of luck.

Oh, I'm depressed! You too? How about a cute pink baby dolphin to cheer us up?

No comments: