Friday, April 10, 2009

Sign of the Apocalypse: MM and Putin Agree on Something

I stumbled across this just today -- and it's quite old -- but I was startled by some of the ideas in it. I'm talking about Vladimir Putin's address at Davos.

You know that I almost never agree with Putin on anything, so I'm calling it absolutely a sign of the apocalypse that I found this bit of his speech pretty close to something that I might say:
True, the state's increased role in times of crisis is a natural reaction to market setbacks. Instead of streamlining market mechanisms, some are tempted to expand state economic intervention to the greatest possible extent.

The concentration of surplus assets in the hands of the state is a negative aspect of anti-crisis measures in virtually every nation.

In the 20th century, the Soviet Union made the state's role absolute. In the long run, this made the Soviet economy totally uncompetitive. This lesson cost us dearly. I am sure nobody wants to see it repeated.

Nor should we turn a blind eye to the fact that the spirit of free enterprise, including the principle of personal responsibility of businesspeople, investors and shareholders for their decisions, is being eroded in the last few months. There is no reason to believe that we can achieve better results by shifting responsibility onto the state.

OMG!

Are you trying to say that Putin -- PUTIN! -- has a better grasp on capitalism than some current US politicians?!

2 comments:

Sheae said...

Also North Korea launched the rocket(missile) amidst all the challenges....

lumpy said...

It does seem that Putin has a better grasp of the value of capitalism than Obama does.

(Yeah, I'm stocking up on non-perishable's and heading for the hills as soon as I post this.)