Thursday, May 07, 2009

Life Imitates Satire: Criticizing the New Star Trek Film

OK, fellow Earthlings, check this out.

THIS is the satire from the Onion: "Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film as 'Fun, Watchable.'"

THIS is an actual critical review from Newsweek: "Has Star Trek Lost Its Moral Relevance?"

I quote one complaint from the review:
The latest film version of "Star Trek," however, is more brawn than brain, and it largely jettisons complicated ethical conundrums in favor of action sequences and special effects.

. . . Where the series often condemned conflict and advocated forgiveness, the new film depicts a violent and war-torn future, reveling in big explosions and revenge.
Hmmmmmm. Hey, the reviewer's talking about blowing stuff up as if it were a bad thing! This is a summer action blockbuster, for goodness sake. I am just ITCHING to see stuff blow up!

I end with this rather arrogant-sounding quote:
Sure, it's just a summer blockbuster, but by leaving out the spirit of ethical inquiry, the new "Trek" isn't true to the show, or its fans.
What a sweeping moral and artistic judgment, eh? Listen, pal! I am a Trek fan, and a big one! I'll decide for myself if the new Trek is "true," mmmkay? I don't need or want a snooty Newsweek writer to decide for me.

By the way, the Cine-Sib is heading to a midnight showing of the film tonight, while I'm trying to go see a matinee tomorrow. Soon you expect movie reviews from both of us.

2 comments:

lumpy said...

Chalk me up as another fan in favor of big bangitude vs. moral thumpitude. The moralizing always detracted from the whole enterprise, I thought.

Mad Minerva said...

"Enterprise"! LOL!