Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nerd News: Law Student 1, Robber 0

The straw that broke the camel's back? A laptop computer. Blurb:

Arizona State University student Alex Botsios said he had no problem giving a nighttime intruder his wallet and guitars.

When the man asked for Botsios' laptop, however, the first-year law student drew the line.

"I was like, 'Dude, no -- please, no!" Botsios said. "I have all my case notes…that's four months of work!"

Police said Gabriel Saucedo entered Botsios' apartment through an open window early Thursday morning. When Botsios woke up, Saucedo threatened him with a baseball bat, police said.

He was just like, 'I'm going to smash your head in,'" Botsios said.

At that point, the law student wrestled the bat away and began punching Saucedo, Botsios said.

"I basically grabbed him and threw him this way, and he held onto the bat so it threw him to the ground," he said.

Police said they took Saucedo to the hospital for stitches before they arrested him on charges of armed robbery and kidnapping. Other than a bruised knuckle and a few scratches, Botsios was unharmed.

. . . he said he is happy that his laptop is unharmed.

"It's my baby," he said. "Don't mess with my computer."

Oh, I hear that! I back up all my files often, but I would be lost without my laptop!

Also, part of me is quite happy that the rightfully outraged "victim" uncorked a justifiable can of self-defense whoop-@$$ on the intruder. Defending oneself and one's property is a right and a duty. Things could have been much nastier if the intruder had a gun, but he was wielding a baseball bat.

No comments: